FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SFReader View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
SFReader Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
    Posted: Jul-15-2016 at 1:10pm
batman versus superman movie posterBatman versus Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Rated "PG-13"
Starring Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Jesse Eisenberg, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Jeremy Irons, Holly Hunter, Gal Gadot
Directed by Zack Synder
Review by Michael D. Griffiths
Rating 4/10 

I had not really planned to see this movie. It was one of those moments where I was near the theater and had some free time, so I walked in with the hopes there would be something I would be willing to spend money to see. A few nights before, I'd had a few beers with a young couple who'd talked it up, so I figured I'd give it a chance.

Like most comic fans, I found the idea of Batman having any chance of taking on Superman unlikely at best, but figured they would make it work somehow. At once I saw that the movie focused more on Batman, it was a plus for me. It was also dark and gloomy -- also a plus.

The general outline of the plot is the heroes each begin to suspect the other of committing foul deeds. This slowly builds to the point where they feel the obligation to take out this threat to the rest of humanity, which in this case are each other.  Unfortunately, while both these heroes were wasting time focusing on the other, Lex Luther was creating a situation that could end up destroying most of the Earth.

Lex Luther played a huge role, almost having more screen time than Superman. Ms. Lane and Alfred were there as well. The acting moved me. I am not the biggest fan of Den Affleck, but he puts his all into this one and I could tell he really tried to take it up a notch. The writing worked. if you can wrap your head around the plot and just let yourself enjoy it, the movie will take you for a wild ride. The visuals rocked and without ruining the climax, I have to say it ripped pretty damn hard.

Downsides with this might just be the idea itself. They had to try pretty hard to give Batman a reason to want to take Superman out, even though Lex worked behind the scenes to spur him on. Sure it was an underdog worried about Superman being an unstoppable dictator-style leader. I can appreciate this, but still, it was a little thin. And the whole Wonder Woman thing felt a bit tacked on. 

Also I'm getting a little sick or all the heroes and villains looking like they just graduated high school. I know the X-men are supposed to be young so sometimes they can get away with it, but Lex should look older than my daughter. I feel like I could take him out with a punch, and that doesn't make him too scary.

If you like DC comics, Superman, or Batman, you should see this one. Action fans should also not pass this one up. There are a few fun surprises that I won't ruin for you. You'll know what I am talking about when you see it. 

You might have reservations, but consider giving it a chance. I doubt you will feel let down.

Edited by SFReader - Jul-15-2016 at 1:17pm
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic